Reporting your sightings of Andrena cineraria
For the first time, BWARS has enabled online recording for this characteristic and widespread spring-flying species of bee. No dedicated recording effort of this species has been launched in Britain or Ireland before and an accurate picture of its current distribution is lacking. Questions we are keen to address include:
- What is its current range and distribution - especially in Scotland and Ireland?
- Is there any sign of further range extension since the BWARS atlas was published?
- What nesting sites are being used?
- How densely are nests aggregated?
- Are there any observations of the special parasite, Nomada lathburiana
- Which flowers are being visited?
If you have any records of this very distinctive and widely distributed solitary bee, please submit the full details via this online recording platform. There is a facility for uploading photographs to support records if you have them. Please include any information on numbers, sexes, flower visitation, nesting sites and behaviour in the "Comments" section.
Photo of female: Louise Hislop Photo of male: Tristan Bantock